Visitors to London who are also transport enthusiasts (‘railfans’) sometimes ask for advice as to the ‘best’ things to see on London’s railway network. This page is part of a guide which aims to answer that question.
If this is the first time you have reached these pages then it is best to go to the Opening Page which sets the scene, explains the difference between the small and the large profile trains, offers advice on the best type of ticket to buy and photography tips.
Alternatively, it is possible to view everything on one page
|The Central Line uses 1992 Tube Stock, seen here (above left) from the road to Sainsbury's supermarket
which also passes by the Newbury Park station car park.
Central line trains use a GoA 2 (Grade of Automation level 2) semi-automatic train control system (STO) whereby the trains travel automatically from station to station but a human train driver is always present at the front of the train, with duties that include door closing and initiating station departure. To ensure that train drivers retain their train driving licences they sometimes still have to drive the trains manually (especially on Sundays).
In tunnel through Central London (just outside White City - just outside Leyton) and to the east of London between (just outside) Leytonstone and (just outside) Newbury Park via Redbridge. There is also a short tunnel between Chigwell and Grange Hill stations.
In open air at Stratford (only for the station), Leyton - Epping / Newbury Park via Woodford and White City to Ealing Broadway / West Ruislip.
Click map to see larger version in a new window!
Map modified by me, original source & license:
Karldupart / Wikipedia encyclopædia CC BY-SA 3.0
Photographic viewpoints which I've used include:
West London: White City station is one of several on the Underground which has 3 tracks and 4 platforms - normally the centre track is used for trains which terminate here. White City is also one of the few stations on the London Underground where trains pass on the right. One of the crossovers between right and left hand running is underground, so is not visible, but the other one is in open air and located partway between White City and East Acton stations.
Much of the route from where the line passes below the elevated urban motorway a little to the north of White City to North Acton is alongside a former Great Western Railway (GWR) goods line which closed in 1964. Some of the closed line has become overgrown (with trees), other sections have been built over, but where the line crosses over roads the disused railway bridges still exist.
Additional information: This section of Central Line was built by the Ealing & Shepherd's Bush Railway (E&SBR) for the GWR as a branch which linked Ealing Broadway station to what nowadays is known as the West London Line. The E&SBR line opened in 1917 and in 1920 the electric tube trains were extended along it as far Ealing Broadway. In 1938 the goods trains were given brand new dedicated tracks as far as North Acton station, this made it possible for them to stop 'track sharing' with the tube trains. As this was a GWR railway line it built the new stations - East Acton and West Acton, plus platforms at Ealing Broadway. North Acton station already existed but it was resited.
|The crossover where trains switch between left and right side running - the westbound track passes over the eastbound track.
This was filmed from a footbridge between Bentwood Road and Du Cane Road - I walked here from White City station.
|Looking down on the railway from the junction of Wood Lane and the Westway - where trains travel on the right - note that the train on the left is displaying white (front) lights and that the green signal is on the far track.|
In both views above the buildings which are located alongside the railway occupy the former trackbed of a British Railways goods (freight) line.
East Acton station has simple wooden platform shelters, such as might be expected at a quiet halt type of station.
From the street it is possible to see that there are actually two railway bridge over the road - the bridge nearer the station is used by Central line trains, the bridge nearer where I took this photograph was part of the GWR / British Railways goods line and is now disused.
The Central Line splits after North Acton, with one branch going towards Ealing Broadway. The approach to Ealing Broadway station is alongside the Great Western Main Line and often longer distance trains from Paddington station can often be seen. This includes Great Western Railway InterCity Express trains heading towards Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea and Penzance, other Great Western trains heading to outer suburban / regional destinations plus TFL Rail and Heathrow Express trains travelling to Heathrow Airport.
|West Acton station is a Grade 2 listed building. The original 1920 station was rebuilt by the GWR for the (then) London Transport Passenger Board
as part of the LPTB's 1935-40 New Works Programme. It was designed by GWR's chief architect, Brian Lewis and was completed in late 1940.
This station is typical of many of the 1930‘s Art Deco stations where the ticket hall is a reinforced concrete frame brick clad 'box' with full-height window with concrete mullions on both the front and rear elevations.
Other distinctive features also include open-sided concrete staircases with bronze handrails linking the ticket hall with the platforms, which have flat-roofed, open-sided concrete shelters, a distinctive bull-nosed glazed end and crook-shaped polished hardwood benches that follow the curve of the shelter.
As this station is listed by Historic England more information about its architectural merits can be found at this link on their website:
The section of the Central Line between North Acton and West Ruislip was built by the GWR and when it opened (in the late 1940's) the electric tube trains replaced the GWR's steam trains. West Ruislip was built as a through station, because the original plans were for the Central Line to extend a few stations further - to Denham. Alongside the Central Line is the New North Main Line (NNML), which was once a busy mainline railway route with trains to Birmingham, Birkenhead (near Liverpool / Merseyside) and other destinations. Nowadays only the section between South Ruislip and West Ruislip is regularly used by passenger trains (Chiltern Railways, from London Marylebone station) and some of these trains still go to Birmingham. [Plus there is a special non-stop passenger train from South Ruislip to West Ealing southbound and then West Ealing - High Wycombe northbound].
Some Chiltern Railways trains from Marylebone also call at South or West Ruislip stations (not usually them both!) and One-day Travelcards / Oyster / Contactless PAYG can be used on these trains too. (If using a Travelcard remember to ensure that it is valid in Zone 5 for South Ruislip or Zone 6 for West Ruislip). The Chiltern trains are not frequent - check the timetable if you wish to use them. Between Ruislip Gardens and West Ruislip there is a large Central Line depot which also has a non-passenger link with the Metropolitan / Piccadilly Line Uxbridge branch. (This link is not visible from passenger trains).
Especially between Hanger Lane and Greenford the railway is also close to the A40 Western Avenue, and by looking out the window to the left it is possible to see the traffic. Because of the distance between stations (and the low road speed limit which is enforced by speed cameras) the trains often travel faster than the road traffic! The railway is elevated here and you will also see many houses and other buildings.
At Greenford the (half hourly, not Sundays) shuttle train from the bay platform at West Ealing terminates in a third track between the Underground trains. Note that although there are platforms on both sides the shuttle trains only use one of them. This is the last station in Zone 4. Greenford was London's first UndergrounD station to have up escalators from the ticket hall to the trains, and is now London's first station to have an angle lift alongside the escalators.
Trains at Greenford station feature in one of my 'youtube' videos - using footage from the 1980's, 1990's, 2009 and 2010 the film shows a wide variety of rolling stock, including some older types of train which
have now been replaced.
|Four platforms at Greenford station. When it was built this station was specially designed with 'cross platform' interchange between the Great Western Railway's and Central Line's trains.
Unfortunately nowadays the Great Western trains only open their doors on one side. This change of policy seems to date from the introduction of the modern trains which have sliding doors that
the railway staff control (the previous trains had hand-operated doors which passengers opened and closed).
Why? it can only be surmised that the railway sees what benefits passengers as being less important than what is easy for its staff.
|Looking down on the Central Line where the West Ruislip branch runs alongside the 1903 'New North Main Line' (NNML) which nowadays is little used - but it is proposed will 'one day' become part
of HS2, the high speed railway which (if built) will link London with northern England.
This was seen from a bridge over the railway which is near to Park Royal Piccadilly Line station (accessed via the underpass below the A40 Western Avenue roadway) and a short walk from Hanger Lane Central Line station.
Central London: Several stations show evidence of the platform lengthening works from 1938/9. Look for a widening of the station tunnel diameter partway along the platform. Holland Park (eastbound) is a good example of this. Because the section of line in Central London was originally built to follow the streets above them some stations (eg: St Pauls, Chancery Lane) have platforms separated vertically (one above the other) rather located side-by-side. In addition, the St Pauls - Bank - Liverpool Street section includes many sharp curves, as the line mirrors the historic street pattern of that very old part of London. This explains the sharply curved station platforms at Bank, as seen below.
|Looking along the platforms from the eastern end of Shepherds Bush station.||Holland Park is one of the Central Line stations which in 1938/9 was lengthened to accept 8-car trains. The platform extensions were built in a way which also provides a larger safety clearance between the train and the tunnel wall, which explains the tunnel diameter changes.|
|Sharply curved platforms at Bank station. This is a good station to hear the famous "mind the gap" announcement.
Curved platforms pose a special problem as they have to allow for the ends of the carriage to "overhang" and depending on the sharpness of the curve this can result in large gaps between the train and the platform.
On inside curves (above left) the gap will be at the carriage ends whilst on outside curves (above right) the gap will be the centre of the carriage.
|The platform wall tiling at Bethnal Green is typical of the subterranean stations built under the 1935 'New Works' plan and which opened in the late 1930's and the 1940's. The colour band varied from station to station. The concealed lighting over the station name frieze is a newer addition.||At Stratford westbound Central Line trains open their doors on both sides.|
East London: Many stations at the eastern end of the Central Line retain much of their Victorian-era architecture. The section from Leyton to Epping and round the northern side of the loop to Newbury Park is a former steam railway which only became part of the Underground in the 1940's. Many of these stations had goods yards which closed in the 1960's and have now become car parks. The last British Railways diesel train to Epping ran in 1970 and the connection (by Leyton station) has been removed. The line between Leytonstone and Newbury Park is underground, it was built in the 1930’s and during the 1939-1945 war was used as a munitions factory with a narrow gauge railway in the tunnels. Leytonstone station has three platforms, westbound trains use an island platform and it is possible for two westbound trains to arrive simultaneously (one each from Snaresbrook and Wanstead stations).
Many stations on the Epping route are a distance apart and the trains travel more quickly than in central London. Plus there are nice views of suburban London and the countryside. Between South Woodford and Woodford the railway crosses over a busy roadway which is 5 lanes wide in each direction. This is where the M11 motorway meets the A406 North Circular Road. When it opened the road had a 70mph / 120km/h speed limit, but since the anti-car politicians came to power the speed limit was reduced by 30% (to 50mph / 80km/h) and nowadays there are digital speed cameras as well :-(
The section of railway between Buckhurst Hill and Epping is outside of London - in the adjacent county of Essex. Buckhurst Hill, Theydon Bois and Epping are traditional 'older' stations - Buckhurst Hill opened in 1856, although the present buildings date from 1892. A few photographs showing some heritage features at Buckhurst Hill station in the 1990's can be found at this link... http://citytransport.info/BuckhurstHill.htm Unfortunately since I took these photographs the lovely frosted windows with the writing have been replaced with plain glass. Epping is a small town some miles outside of London - it is even outside the M25 orbital motorway. The journey here is through open countryside. The railway used to continue beyond Epping to Ongar, however that section closed in the 1980's. More recently however it was reopened as a private museum railway which uses steam and diesel trains. Timetable and fares information for the Epping Ongar Railway can be found at this link: http://eorailway.co.uk/
Loughton is one of several stations on this route which were rebuilt in the late 1930's. It is also another station which has 3 tracks and 4 platforms. For many years after the Central Line had taken over the normal passenger services steam excursion trains would travel from Loughton taking passengers to seaside destinations - often travelling via the East London Line and on to the south coast.
There is a large depot between Hainault and Grange Hill. Part of this can be seen from the platforms at Hainault station - or by travelling between these two stations.
The station entrance walkway at Leytonstone features 17 mosaic murals on the theme of the famous film director Alfred Hitchcock, who was born in Leytonstone.
More information about and photographs of these murals can be found at this link: http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/london/hitch/
|Westbound trains waiting to enter Leytonstone station.
The train on the left has come from Snaresbrook station whilst the train on the right has come from Wanstead station.
|Redbridge is one of the few subterranean stations served by the small profile 'tube' lines that was built using the 'cut and cover' method. This was because it is very close to the surface. It also explains why the station has straight rather than curved (arch-shaped) walls.|
The entire Hainault loop is in zone 4. Barkingside and Fairlop are good examples of Victorian-era stations and have a frequent train service. Near to Fairlop station is a low bridge under the railway which tall road vehicles often hit. If you want to see how a station that has had its Victorian-era platform canopies cut in half (as a cheaper alternative to costly repairs) then Chigwell may be an excellent example, but note that trains between Hainault and Woodford operate at 20 minutes intervals and the service ends early in the evenings. Between Roding Valley and Chigwell a farm can be seen out the window (look to the north, away from London). This is easiest to see in the winter, when the trees do not have any leaves. Nearby the railway crosses over the M11 Motorway.
A short walk from Roding Valley station along Station Way is a bridge over the railway which I've often used. The bridge is actually over the main Epping line but in the distance (looking south)
it is possible to see where the Hainault loop joins the Epping route. A link to a Google map showing this location can be found below
For many years the section of track between Hainault and Woodford was used to test the automation system which was later used on the Victoria Line. Every one of the Victoria Line's 1967 Tube Stock trains was tested here, alongside the small fleet of 1960 Tube Stock trains which provided the main service. The only through trains to central London were the rush-hour journeys from the Hainault depot which ran in passenger service from Grange Hill. When returning to the depot at the end of the rush hours they showed a destination of Grange Hill via Woodford. However nowadays almost all services operate as through trains from Central London - normally these travel via Newbury Park and show the destination of Woodford via Hainault when travelling through Central London towards Woodford.
Gants Hill is famed for having a large arched waiting area between the platforms which is similar to some stations on the Moscow metro. The station is in the middle of a large roundabout and the entrance is part of the pedestrian walkway system under the roads. Newbury Park is famed for the large arched bus shelter which was built in 1952 and is just outside the station. Note however that just because a structure is visually significant does not mean that it is also practical. The shelter may keep a person dry but is of minimal benefit on cold windy winter days. It is possible to look down upon Newbury Park station from the A12 Eastern Avenue outside the station.
|A northbound train travelling towards Hainault exits the tunnel mouths very close to Newbury Park station, as seen from the footpath alongside the A12 Eastern Avenue. The former mainline railway route to Ilford which was in the gap between the tracks is now closed. This was filmed in December 2014, looking south. Looking in the opposite direction it is possible to look over a wall and see (and photograph) Newbury Park station.||The award-winning large arched concrete bus shelter outside Newbury Park station which dates from 1952, plus sign (which is illuminated at night) advertising the location of the
station to passing traffic.
(The sign is at far left edge of the image where approaching traffic can easily see it).
|The very grand station building with a cupola at Barkingside.
This station was opened in 1903 by the Great Eastern Railway.
Electric tube trains replaced steam trains in 1948
and the goods depot (freight yard) closed in 1965.
|A map seen at Bank station showing the Hainault - Woodford
shuttle plus that sometimes there are also a few through trains.
See below for additional information.
Eastbound Loop Destination Routing
For many years most trains serving stations between Hainault and Woodford (via Chigwell) ran as a shuttle, with some additional rush hour trains between central London and Grange Hill via Woodford. This changed when the present 1992 tube stock trains were introduced, with through services running all day between Woodford and central London via Hainault and Newbury Park.
To reduce the number of trains in service - so that the entire fleet can be modified to comply with new laws to create space for passengers who use wheelchairs (and other works) most through trains were withdrawn in January 2020. The service frequency remains the same (every 20 minutes) but for most of the time passengers must change trains at either Hainault or Woodford.
Passengers who want to go to Grange Hill, Chigwell and Roding Valley will usually find that it is better to catch a train to Epping / Debden / Loughton and (if necessary) change trains at Woodford.
Trains Terminating at Leytonstone
Sometimes trains also end their journeys at Leytonstone. Usually this is in a platform that is normally used by westbound trains, so to avoid having to walk to one end of the platform and then using two stairways to reach the eastbound platform, passengers will usually find it more convenient to wait for the next eastbound train at Leyton.
citytransportinfo is also here:
share this page with your friends!